In a few days I, alongside more than 10,000 other happy campers, will be attending Symbiosis Gathering, a monumental convergence of individuality expressed via every imaginable medium–workshops devoted to treating your mind and body and, of course, massive servings of musical entertainment.
I have been lucky enough to experience a few festivals and over time have boiled my packing essentials down to 10 key items, which may help you in your preparation.
1. Hat. Maximize solar protection. It’s going to be hot out there!
2. Sunglasses. Preferably with color-tinted lenses.
3. Bandana/Hankie. If wind is in the forecast, the dust can cause some serious sinus struggles.
4. Earplugs. I’m no party pooper, but I swear earplugs enhance your musical enjoyment by eliminating ambient noise and letting your ears focus on the meat of the beats.
5. Swimsuit. Campgrounds are located on Woodward Reservoir, and the organizers are allowing access to a crystal clear swimming lake. A true gift from the festival gods!
6. Favorite Disco Suit…or two. With 4 stages and an epic musical lineup, you are going to want to spend some time looking good on the dance floor. And a warm coat is smart if you plan on staying out late.
7. Natural Oils. When shower time is limited, fragrant tea tree or lavender oil provides a bit of refreshment. These natural germ fighters will also help soothe bug bites, sunburn or scrapes. Coconut oil is another favorite to combat dryness in hot climates.
8. Small Bag, Fanny Pack, or Backpack. To carry snacks, sunscreen, water, a festival schedule and anything else you need to prevent frequent returns to the campsite.
9. Flashlight or Headlamp. And I will suggest battery-powered decorative lights. Make it easy for your friends to find you in the crowd when the sun goes down.
10. Teva Sandals. Honestly, nothing has been better on my feet this festival season than a tough pair of water sandals. Bring some closed toe shoes for the night, but during the day sandals reign supreme.
I hope this list helps you get started on your journey to Symbiosis. No matter what you bring (or forget to bring) you are destined to have a great time. Just have fun and be safe.
Take a look at the festival’s website for views of the gorgeious campgrounds and other vital festival information. On the homepage you will also find 3 digital compilations free to download for a sneak peak of several artists.
See you there!
Teva Water Ambassador